BT+L partners was founded by our current president, John Nelson. John is a Speaker, Advisor, Consultant, Author and Business Transformation Thought Leader. He has 25 years of experience in general management, entrepreneurial, corporate senior and executive management roles and external consulting with some of the most respected companies in their industries, including: AlliedSignal/Honeywell, American Family, Apple Computer, ARAMARK, Best Practice Institute, Cargill, Cerdian, Delta Faucet, Diversey, Emmis Communications, Hallmark Cards, InterContinental Hotels Group, Madison Gas & Electric, Medtronic, Northwestern Mutual, RBL Group, Reebok International, SCJohnson, QBE Insurance, University of Minnesota’s Executive Education, WorldQuant.
John is a seasoned global business transformation leader with experience and internationally recognized success with large scale and complex organization wide change initiatives. He has worked extensively with CEOs and executive teams to clarify strategy, restructure, align leadership and shift cultures that deliver customer, employee and shareholder results with remarkable speed. John has worked internally and externally in consulting capacities and has seen through initiatives from inception to execution results. He brings great diversity in business having worked with Fortune 50 companies, mid-caps and start-ups. As a former HR executive he has successfully aligned Human Capital strategies and HR functions (Operating models/structures/processes/talent) to the strategic needs of the business. John is a business/organization savvy executive, systems thinker, highly collaborative, innovative yet practical, and passionate about game changing transformations.
- Lead Partner on the strategic restructuring and transformation of InterContinental Hotels Group as it separated from Bass plc and repositioned in marketplace from 6Contintents. The team won BOD support when faced with a hostile take over, successfully restructured globally and reduced cost by $142m. The rapid success and financial results earned Mr. Nelson and his colleague an international award for the transformation of IHG. John was retained by the executives as acting SVP of Global Organization Effectiveness to see through the implementation of the restructuring, change management, executive/leadership alignment and development, and Human Resource function alignment and capability building.
- As Head of Global Organization Effectiveness & Business Consulting at Diversey, John worked with the CEO and executive team on defining the global operating model, corporate and divisional strategies, culture change imperatives and Leadership Brand. In preparation for an IPO or Acquisition event – John led three phased successful restructurings – 5 regions to 3, globalized corporate functions, globalized of commercial operations to global customer market segments. John had global corporate responsibility for building and running Strategy, Organization Design, Executive/Leadership alignment & development, Succession Planning, Corporate University, LEAN/SixSigma, and co-chairing the company’s PMO (Project Management Office). John was coach and advisor to the CHRO and was acting CHRO during a number of extended medical leaves. John regularly interfaced with the BOD on matters related to the restructurings, succession planning, and HR function transformation (from bottom to #1 ranked function in 2 years).
- As part of Organization Effectiveness and Business Consulting at Cargill ($134B, 140k+ employees in 66 countries), John co-led the kick-off the the Process Strategy initiative and consulted on a number of the company’s organizational effectiveness and business projects, including the strategy refresh and alignment of a $22B division.
- John has senior and executive level experience with some of the most respected companies in their industries: Apple Computer, AlliedSignal/Honeywell, ARAMARK, Cargill, Delta Faucet Company, Emmis Communications, Hallmark Cards, JohnsonDiversey, InterContinental Hotels Group, Medtronic, Reebok International and QBE Insurance. John has facilitated business events and leadership development programs in more than 20 countries across four continents.
- International recognition for transformational change and HR leadership, author of dedicated chapter of Best Practices Institute publication featuring the transformation of Emmis Communications, two awards from the HRD World Congress for global contributions to the field of Human Resources and numerous CEO awards and recognition for strategic contributions. Regularly invited to speak at conferences and expert panels.
- As an HR executive and Sr. Consultant with Dave Ulrich/Results Based Leadership engaged internally and externally to align and transform numerous HR functions in alignment with their business strategies and organizational needs.
- Experience working closely with executives and senior leaders in 1:1 coaching engagements, executive team working sessions and large leadership conferences (30-200 participants). Highly adaptive and keenly aware of the dynamics of leaders, politics and teams, he has proven ability to work with diverse, complex and multi-cultural teams in a collaborative and impactful way. John has a passionate, humble and witty approach which allows him to get to the heart of a matter quickly and without ego or style getting in the way of the mission.
- John has a BS with honors in Industrial Relations from Iowa State University, and MA with honors in Industrial Relations/Human Resources from the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota and a Certificate in International Management from the #1 ranked international business school Thunderbird.